[BangPypers] BangPypers Digest, Vol 8, Issue 15

Siddharta siddharta.lists at gmail.com
Tue May 6 07:48:41 CEST 2008

The problem I have with stand alone editors is that they are okay for
writing code, but absolutely lousy for reading and cleaning code. Most
of the time I'm dealing with multiple files, and when reading code I
want to be able to jump to the implementation of a method, then go back
to where I was and so on. Then you want to rename a method or move code
into a separate module and fix all the references. These kinds of things
are major headaches in a standalone editor and tags/grep etc dont cut
it. In any long term project, 75% of the work is in maintenance, reading
and cleaning code. Unfortunately, most editors are optimised for
*writing* code which is the least of my problems with Python's minimal
syntax. I prefer an IDE optimized for reading, navigating and cleaning
code and Wing does a pretty good job here, not as good as some other
language IDEs but the best I've seen for Python.

The second thing I like about Wing is that it has an interactive python
shell which executes in context. Which means I can select a piece of
code and run just that snippet in the shell and see the output. Also, I
can put a breakpoint and then execute code in the shell with the
execution context at the time of the breakpoint. Both are really useful,
and again not provided in a stand alone editor. Plus a very nice
debugger where you can see the call stack, breakpoints, watches, single
step which are taken for granted in any language IDE but seem to be
missing or poorly implemented in most Python IDEs.
--
Siddharta Govindaraj