[BangPypers] Python grows in 2007

Indrajith K indrajith.k at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 11:53:36 CET 2008

Number of packages to a good extent can be taken as a indicator of the
reach of the language (though it makes sense more to languages like
python, perl, ruby etc). Perl has a long history. CPAN has almost
every thing you require. The growth won't be really feeble, still
number of packages for perl increased by 1140, python increased its
stretch by 857. I agree that python standard lib can replace many CPAN
modules, but it is hard to believe Python std lib + cheeseshop  = perl
std lib + cpan. Python growth is great, but it has a long way to go.
To me ruby is not in my radar (though oreilly says the ruby books
sales out numbered python books in 2007, it is where Python was few
years ago).