[BangPypers] Python grows in 2007

Dorai Thodla dorai at thodla.com
Thu Jan 3 15:23:55 CET 2008

This is a great discussion. We can look at some factors and trends:

1. Adoption of Python in leading influencers in marketplace (Third most used
language in Google, IronPython on the rise in Microsoft, Python efforts at
Sun etc.)
2. Typical sponsors, attendees of Python conferences like PyCon
3. The number of applications, libraries, web frameworks in Python
4. Google trends (
http://www.google.com/trends?q=perl%2C+python%2C+php%2C+ruby%2C+javascript&ctab=0&geo=all&date=2007&sort=0).
This just shows search trends which does not really mean much.
5. Number of open source packages written in Python (vs PERL, PHP, Ruby,
Java, C# in the last 2 years)

I am a Python fan too and feel that it has the best mix of elegance and
productivity. But I always wonder why some of the most popular web
applications - WikiMedia, Wordpress, Flickr, Facebook are all based on PHP.
Is it the scalability? Simplicity? The availability of free tools and
libraries? Low entry point coming in from C?

I would love a discussion on this subject. If the language is popular, more
people try to train in it.

Dorai Thodla (http://www.thodla.com)
US: 650-206-2688
India: 98408 89258