[BangPypers] Python 3.0

Anand Balachandran Pillai abpillai at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 19:18:02 CEST 2008

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 8:07 PM, P Silpa <psilpa at novell.com> wrote:
> hi,
>
>    I am new to this group. And I did not see any of the 3.0 releases(betas).
> Do we have vista full fledged vista support in python 3.0?? Most of the APIs
> in 2.4 do not work on Vista as expected. Where can I get the "WHATS NEW"
> information?

This is the page where all 3.0 releases will be updated.

http://www.python.org/download/releases/3.0/

If you did not see a beta release, then you missed two of them.
The latest beta (b2) was released on July 17th.

This is the WHATSNEW for 3.0 b2.
http://www.python.org/download/releases/3.0/NEWS.txt

Btw, there is no specific build for Vista. There is a generic x86 build for
Win32 which should work on any 32/64 bit Windows systems. There is
another build for AMD64.

What do you mean by "most of the APIs in 2.4 do not work on Vista
as expected" ? As expected by Python expectations or Vista
expectations ? Please give a few examples.

> Thanks,
> Silpa

> Guys,
>
>   Python 3.0 is coming (2 betas done already) and though
> the language is getting a lot of changes, some of them
> breaking backward compatibility, it is a significant update
> in terms of language changes, new modules, performance
> and overall "look n feel" of the language.
>
> I have been a lurker in the Python 3.0 mailing list and has
> been a bit of a beta tester. I have been following the developments
> and tries to keep myself updated of the significant changes in
> the new version.
>
> The purpose of this mail is to probe the pulse of the list in
> terms of conducting meetings where we can discuss Python 3.0
> about the time it is released (which is a couple of months down
> the line). Though I don't expect most programmers to jump into
> Python 3.0, as it breaks lot of compatibility with 2.x, I think
> everyone will be coding on Python 3.0 in 2-3 years.
>
> If this sounds like a good idea, we can go around planning the
> discussions.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> -Anand