[BangPypers] Certification

Dorai Thodla dorai at thodla.com
Wed Oct 24 18:56:36 CEST 2007

Jeff,
I think it is a great idea. We can probably do this as a community effort. I
will be interested in following it up. Hopefully this and other python
groups may join once we build it up a bit.

I have been toying with the idea of building a Python Academy as a part of
our LearningPoint effort with different levels.

The idea is to move people from low level to high level by actually writing
code and building projects and not just answering questions. Every project
that is built will become open source and may benefit the community. I
jotted down some ideas here.

http://dorai.wordpress.com/learningpoint/

The effort is meant to bootstrap. The people at the high level can mentor
students at the low level.

Dorai
www.thodla.com

On 10/24/07, Jeff Rush <jeff at taupro.com> wrote:

> Dorai Thodla wrote:
> > Anand,
> > You make some good points. I have had similar experience to the one you
> > describe with certified Java and .NET progammers too.
> >
> > It may be interesting to find out what python.org <http://python.org>
> > thinks about certification.
>
> Hi Dorai.  As far as I know, in my role as former Python Advocacy
> Coordinator,
> there are no Python certifications anywhere.  Sometimes there is talk that
> we
> ought to have them, but a large number of people are against the idea.
> Not
> that that would matter, in that any group of people could start it moving,
> and
> those who like the idea would use it and those who don't can ignore it.
>
> I personally have an interest, not in formal certification which relies
> upon
> the reputation of some evaluation company, but in what I call my "So you
> think
> you know Python..." project.  The idea would be to have a website where
> people
> can go to test themselves, with links to learning material that fill in
> the
> gaps identified in their knowledge.  The questions would not be fixed but
> dynamically generated, so that a person cannot just memorize the
> answers.  And
> if desired an employer could sit an interviewee down in front of a PC and
> have
> him complete the test in front of him.
>
> No such system is perfect but it would give a starting point for measuring
> the
> capabilities of a Python programmer.  I don't look at it as some
> enforcement
> measure for catching pretenders, like most certification does, but rather
> for
> helping those medium-level programmers who have learned enough Python to
> get
> along but don't know what they don't know and could use pointers to
> lessons.  The idea is to help create better Python programmers, in an
> non-corporate, opensource manner.
>
> I hope some year to show something like this off at PyCon but currently
> lack
> the time to implement it myself.
>
> -Jeff

Dorai Thodla (http://www.thodla.com)