[Async-sig] "read-write" synchronization

Chris Jerdonek chris.jerdonek at gmail.com
Sun Jun 25 17:13:12 EDT 2017

I'm relatively new to async programming in Python and am thinking
through possibilities for doing "read-write" synchronization.

I'm using asyncio, and the synchronization primitives that asyncio
exposes are relatively simple [1]. Have options for async read-write
synchronization already been discussed in any detail?

I'm interested in designs where "readers" don't need to acquire a lock
-- only writers. It seems like one way to deal with the main race
condition I see that comes up would be to use loop.time(). Does that
ring a bell, or might there be a much simpler way?

Thanks,
--Chris

[1] https://docs.python.org/3/library/asyncio-sync.html