[Async-sig] Some thoughts on asynchronous API design in a post-async/await world

Yury Selivanov yselivanov at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 12:56:53 EST 2016

> On Nov 7, 2016, at 12:50 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
>

> On Sun, 6 Nov 2016 at 22:41 Glyph Lefkowitz <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
>
>> On Nov 6, 2016, at 8:20 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
>>
>> For me there are two questions the post raises. One is how do we keep people from tying themselves to any one event loop?
>
> Deprecate, then remove, get_event_loop() :-).
>
> Is there a bug filed for that at https://github.com/python/asyncio?

I don’t think we need to deprecate get_event_loop().  With https://github.com/python/asyncio/pull/452 merged in 3.6, get_event_loop becomes more predictable.

Now it’s a documentation issue (I’m trying to work on that) to explain asyncio users not to use it (and where they *do* need to use it).

I will also open a PR soon to add asyncio.main() function (or asyncio.run()) to further simplify working with asyncio & its documentation.  That should make get_event_loop to disappear for end users.

Yury