[Async-sig] PEP: asynchronous generators

Cory Benfield cory at lukasa.co.uk
Mon Aug 8 17:15:31 EDT 2016

> On 8 Aug 2016, at 22:11, Ludovic Gasc <gmludo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> We'll see when it will happen ;-)
> Implemented in 2012, pushed on production by Google in 2013, and 3 years later, only one Web browser and one programming language have the support, to my knowledge.
> Nobody uses that except Google, or everybody already migrated on Go ? ;-)
> Or simply, it's too much complicated to use/debug/... ?

Well, that’s not entirely true. Akamai have an implementation, as I understand it, though it’s based off the Chromium one. And I expect that others have stacks built in similar ways. My understanding is also that Microsoft are working on an implementation as well.

The main reason is just that it’s not ready yet. Google have been taking their time with it, and so it’s been very changeable. In particular, QUIC is moving to use TLS 1.3 as its crypto solution, which is extremely tricky for those of us in Python-land, as OpenSSL currently does not have TLS 1.3 on their roadmap for anytime in the near future. That’ll mean using a different TLS library, which adds an extra wrinkle that is quite inconvenient.

So for the medium term I expect this to remain true. FWIW, I’m following the QUIC working group, so I’ll be keeping a very close eye on this over the next few years.

Cory