[AstroPy] visual magnitude and surface brightness from astropy/astroplan

mroch at sdsu.edu mroch at sdsu.edu
Tue Apr 30 18:34:21 EDT 2024

Dear All,

We had been using JPL's Horizons and we replaced our solar ephemeris with
astropy/astroplan (versions 5.8 and 0.8 respectively) which greatly
increased our ephemeris throughput for biology applications (e.g., diel
patterns and animal presence over a period of decades).  We would like to do
something similar with lunar data.  Currently, we are using JPL's visual
magnitude and surface brightness measurement (quantity 9,
https://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/horizons/manual.html). It is clear to me how to use
astroplan to retrieve the percentage of the moon that is illuminated, but
not the visual magnitude and surface brightness produced by JPL.  Looking at
the astroplan source code, it does not appear that astroplan was designed
for this and we may need to learn how to use astropy.  Any suggestions would
be welcome.

Apologies if this is a trivial question; I am a scientist, but not an
astronomer.

All my best,

Marie