[AstroPy] RA/Dec to Alt/Az

Russell Valentine russell.valentine at gmail.com
Wed May 24 08:41:09 EDT 2023

Last time I wrote a function to do this if I wanted it adjusted for
atmospheric refraction I needed to include pressure in the coordinate. I
usually estimate this using elevation. The algorithm isn't totally
stable especially at lower altitudes, so keep that in mind if you ever
need to go back from AltAz to RADec. See notes section on this page:
https://docs.astropy.org/en/stable/api/astropy.coordinates.AltAz.html

height = earth_location.height.to_value(u.m)
# https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/air-altitude-pressure-d_462.html
return 101325.0 * ((1.0 - 2.2557e-5 * height) ** 5.25588) * usi.Pa