[AstroPy] 3D Rotation Matrix

Adrian Price-Whelan adrianmpw at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 15:56:04 EDT 2023

Hi Tyler,

What about the functionality is not working the way you would expect? Can
you provide a working example that shows what happens when you use the
astropy rotation_matrix function, and what you would expect to happen?

best,
Adrian

On Tue, Mar 21, 2023 at 12:25 PM Roth, Tyler Jacob via AstroPy <
astropy at python.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I’m currently using the Astropy rotation_matrix to take an original
> coordinate system (x,y,z) to rotate about y to a new (x’,y’,z’) and then
> rotating about that new z’ to a final (x’’,y’’,z’’) coordinate system.
> Unfortunately I am either misunderstanding how the rotation_matrix works in
> Astropy as this functionality is not working the way I expected it to. I
> searched pretty thoroughly to find documentation on this Astropy library
> but haven’t found anything. Is there any insight you might provide on this?
>

> Best,
>
> Tyler Roth
>

> *Tyler Roth*
>
> Post Bachelor Student, ISR-1
>
> Cell: 847-372-5939
>
> roth at lanl.gov

Adrian M. Price-Whelan (he / him)
Associate Research Scientist // CCA/Flatiron Institute
Asst. Director for Scientific Software // Simons Foundation
http://adrn.github.io