[AstroPy] using astropy.coordinates.angular_separation()

John Parejko parejkoj at uw.edu
Thu Aug 10 13:32:13 EDT 2023

There are tools to help automatically transition code from 2 to 3. python2 is no longer supported, and no major projects are producing or updating libraries for python2, so you're just making your own life much more difficult. A few thousand lines of code should be quite easy to do: LSST transitioned about 300,000 lines of code in early 2018.

https://community.lsst.org/t/python-2-no-longer-supported/2845/2

Here is the official transition tool that will take care of most of the necessary changes:

https://docs.python.org/3/library/2to3.html

Note that 2to3 is will be removed in python 3.13, so I definitely recommend doing that transition now. It's probably less work than implementing your own separation code.

John

--
John Parejko
parejkoj at uw.edu