[AstroPy] Specutils: use of uncertainty in template_correlate

Peter Dzwig pdzwig at summaventures.com
Tue May 17 18:31:33 EDT 2022

Does specutils *require* an uncertainty in template_correlate?

I have a large set of compound spectra (whose origin comesfrom a variety
of sources). I want to correlate these with individual spectra (possibly
from yet other sources) that, in general, can be assumed to have
differing (and possibly unknown) uncertainties.

In cases where there is not a readily defined uncertainty such as this
there a way to get specutils to estimate the uncertainty itself? Or is
another approach appropriate?

Thanks for any help

Peter Dzwig
--