[AstroPy] propagating coordinate errors

Adrian Price-Whelan adrianmpw at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 11:35:09 EDT 2021

Hi Rick,

The most straightforward way of doing this with existing functionality is
to pass Monte Carlo samples through the representation transformations. In
general, if your uncertainties are, e.g., Gaussian in Spherical
coordinates, they will not be Gaussian in other representations, so in most
cases this is the only thing you can do. (Though if your uncertainties are
very small, there are other tricks to employ...). If you say more about
what exactly you want to do, I can give you some specific examples!

best,
- Adrian

On Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 4:17 AM Frederic V. Hessman <
hessman at astro.physik.uni-goettingen.de> wrote:

> It's wonderful to have SkyCoord, but real coordinates have errors - how
> does one propagate them using differentials when transforming to other
> representations?
>
> I haven't been able to find _any_ examples by looking at the official
> examples or googling and the BaseDifferential docs are .... not very
> helpful.
>
> Rick

Adrian M. Price-Whelan
Flatiron Institute, NYC