[AstroPy] Qustion about Fits Tutorial

Adam Ginsburg adam.g.ginsburg at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 22:32:13 EDT 2021

Vizier uses a journal name & volume based coding for its catalogs.

The link in that tutorial
<https://learn.astropy.org/rst-tutorials/FITS-cubes.html> is:
http://cdsarc.u-strasbg.fr/vizier/ftp/cats/J/A+A/594/A116/CUBES/GAL/TAN/TAN_C14.fits

The relevant text there is "J/A+A/594/A116", which you can search for on
Vizier:
https://vizier.u-strasbg.fr/viz-bin/VizieR?-source=J/A+A/594/A116&-to=2

That will point you to the README and list of available files:
https://cdsarc.unistra.fr/viz-bin/cat/J/A+A/594/A116

which, if you go to the FTP tab, can be navigated to get the list of
available cubes:
https://cdsarc.unistra.fr/ftp/J/A+A/594/A116/CUBES/GAL/TAN/
(other projections are also available)

On Thu, Aug 5, 2021 at 10:26 PM Avi Chen <avi.chen832 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using the tutorial  "Working with FITS-cubes" on learn.astropy. I
> wanted to try the tutorial on other portions of the sky. In the section of
> the tutorial "Download the HI Data" it says that the relevant data can be
> found via ftp from CDS Strasbourg, but the hyperlink goes straight to a
> download file. Does anyone know where on http://cdsarc.u-strasbg.fr/ I
> can find the data used in the tutorial? I want to try the template on other
> regions of the sky and I'm hoping to browse around.. Thanks so much!
>
> Best,
> - Avi

Adam Ginsburg
Assistant Professor, Department of Astronomy
University of Florida, Gainesville
http://www.adamgginsburg.com/