[AstroPy] Query for Messier objects in a given region

Jim Singh jimmyboysingh at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 09:28:12 EDT 2021

Thanks Eric and Doug, as a 'proof of concept' I believe I've got the real
time plotting of both Bright stars and M objects around a given planet,
working now. However, in practice I will access a local Messier table like
you suggest, for the reasons you mention.

I am fetching the RA,Dec of a given planet thusly:
  planetName = "Neptune"
  c = (get_body(planetName, Time(datetime.utcnow()), location=None,
ephemeris=None)
  planetRA = c3.ra.hourangle
  planetDec = c3.dec.deg

So far the planet-neighbourhood patterns match (within acceptable bounds)
what I'm seeing through the finderscope (at least for the planets currently
visible), and with the SkEye app. My understanding from what you've said is
that if I keep using the RA and Dec of stars and M objects based on the
equinox 'J2000' reference (per the _RAJ2000', '_DEJ2000' Bright Star
catalog columns and downloaded coords columns from SIMBAD), then years from
now for this particular use case the agreement between the observed and
plot will remain as sound as it is today.

Regards,
Jim