[AstroPy] Calculating alt/az or zenith angle/parallactic angle

Tim Staley tim.staley at physics.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jan 27 05:51:34 EST 2017

Hi Tim,

you want something like the following:

    from astropy.coordinates import SkyCoord, AltAz, EarthLocation

    from astropy.time import Time
    import astropy.units as u

    obs_time = Time('2017-01-01T18:00')

    sky_posn = SkyCoord(0 * u.deg, 30 * u.deg)
    earth_location = EarthLocation.from_geodetic(0*u.deg, 35*u.deg)

    altaz = sky_posn.transform_to(
         AltAz(obstime=obs_time,
              location=earth_location))

    print(altaz.alt.deg, altaz.az.deg)