[AstroPy] Fail to build documentation for astropy 1.3

Christoph Deil Christoph.Deil at mpi-hd.mpg.de
Thu Jan 26 02:42:15 EST 2017

> On 26 Jan 2017, at 04:00, Masato Onodera <masato.onodera at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to build a documentation of astropy-1.3 to look at it when I'm not connected to the internet.  I followed the instruction (http://docs.astropy.org/en/stable/install.html#building-documentation <http://docs.astropy.org/en/stable/install.html#building-documentation>), but either ways do not work for me producing the following error message (this is for the case of "python setup.py build_docs").  I also tried both python 2.7 and 3.5 and got the same error.   Are there any ideas how to fix this?
>
> Best regards,
> Masato Onodera
>

> Running Sphinx v1.5.1
> intersphinx inventory has moved: http://docs.python.org/2/objects.inv <http://docs.python.org/2/objects.inv> -> https://docs.python.org/2/objects.inv <https://docs.python.org/2/objects.inv>
> intersphinx inventory has moved: http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/objects.inv <http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/objects.inv> -> https://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/objects.inv <https://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/objects.inv>
> intersphinx inventory has moved: http://pytest.org/latest/objects.inv <http://pytest.org/latest/objects.inv> -> http://docs.pytest.org/en/latest/objects.inv <http://docs.pytest.org/en/latest/objects.inv>
> intersphinx inventory has moved: http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/objects.inv <http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/objects.inv> -> https://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/objects.inv <https://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/objects.inv>
> [autosummary] generating autosummary for: analytic_functions/index.rst, changelog.rst, config/config_0_4_transition.rst, config/index.rst, constants/index.rst, convolution/index.rst, convolution/kernels.rst, convolution/using.rst, coordinates/angles.rst, coordinates/definitions.rst, ..., wcs/relax.rst, whatsnew/0.1.rst, whatsnew/0.2.rst, whatsnew/0.3.rst, whatsnew/0.4.rst, whatsnew/1.0.rst, whatsnew/1.1.rst, whatsnew/1.2.rst, whatsnew/1.3.rst, whatsnew/index.rst
> [automodsumm] vo/conesearch/index.rst: found 27 automodsumm entries to generate
> [automodsumm] time/index.rst: found 30 automodsumm entries to generate
> [automodsumm] io/ascii/index.rst: found 55 automodsumm entries to generate
> [automodsumm] convolution/index.rst: found 22 automodsumm entries to generate
> [automodsumm] stats/index.rst: found 34 automodsumm entries to generate
> [automodsumm] vo/samp/index.rst: found 11 automodsumm entries to generate
> [automodsumm] constants/index.rst: found 2 automodsumm entries to generate
> [automodsumm] nddata/utils.rst: found 9 automodsumm entries to generate
> [automodsumm] units/index.rst: found 86 automodsumm entries to generate
> [automodsumm] logging.rst: found 3 automodsumm entries to generate
> [automodsumm] cosmology/index.rst: found 11 automodsumm entries to generate
> [...]

Hi Masato,

that’s a weird error message, with the traceback not mentioning a filename.

Could you please try again from a fresh Astropy 1.3 version to make sure you don’t have any accidental local file edits or something like that.

This should work:

Go to https://pypi.python.org/pypi/astropy/1.3 <https://pypi.python.org/pypi/astropy/1.3> and click on astropy-1.3.tar.gz
tar zxf astropy-1.3.tar.gz
cd astropy-1.3
python setup.py build_docs
# runs for ~ 10 minutes
open docs/_build/html/index.html

It does work for me. Here’s my full build log:
https://gist.github.com/cdeil/b0c0774b45966ecf05f04bde3d0a88a4 <https://gist.github.com/cdeil/b0c0774b45966ecf05f04bde3d0a88a4>

If it still doesn’t work for you, maybe you could post your full build log also.
It might contain a clue like another warning or error about what’s wrong.

Good luck!
Christoph