[AstroPy] astropy fits time header

Bob Garwood bgarwood at nrao.edu
Tue Sep 13 11:53:51 EDT 2016

This is the FITS Y2K agreement approved by the IAU-FWG prior to 2000.
It shows that the old style 'DD/MM/YY' remains an acceptable form for
dates prior to 2000.

http://fits.gsfc.nasa.gov/year2000.html

According to the FITS standard document (also at GSFC, see the link in
Peter's e-mail) that form should not be used in FITS files produced
after 1 January 2000.  But it's still valid FITS. Because "once fits,
always fits".

Bob