[AstroPy] Producing tile compressed FITS files

John Parejko parejkoj at uw.edu
Fri Jun 17 12:44:13 EDT 2016

Bill Pence gave this reply, but he's not on the astropy list.

By the looks of it, this is an astropy bug when it writes the CompImageHDUs.

John
On Jun 17, 2016 8:21 AM, "William Pence" <William.Pence at nasa.gov> wrote:

The error message produced by fits_verify when testing the compressed file
indicates that the header keywords in the 3rd HDU are not present in the
required order.  The 8th keyword of the binary table extension (the
compressed image) must be TFIELDS, but in this file the 8th keyword is
BSCALE.  CFITSIO strictly enforces this requirement, so won't read that HDU
(or any following HDUs). Here is the error message:

*** Error:   Bad HDU? (from CFITSIO error stack:)
             ffgtkn found unexpected keyword or value for keyword no. 8.
              Expected positive integer keyword TFIELDS, but instead
              found keyword BSCALE with value 1
             Failed to move to HDU number 3 (ffmahd).

-Bill

cc:ing William Pence, as this may be an odd interaction between