[AstroPy] Trying to read Tycho-2 catalog

Paul Kuin npkuin at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 16:33:13 EDT 2015

(1) it would be good to ask the CDS help desk about this. My vague
recollection is that long ascii data tables are split up. Then  a simple
cat name.txt.?? > name.txt re creates the whole

(2) tofits takes the readme file and ascii data files and converts that
into a fits file, though I do no longer remember if you get one file or
many. In this case I think one.

Paul

On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 7:14 PM, Ole Streicher <astropy at liska.ath.cx> wrote:

> Thomas Robitaille <thomas.robitaille at gmail.com> writes:
> > Note that when using CDS, you can always choose to download the catalog
> > as a FITS binary table which would be much simpler to read in.
>
> Thanks, this probably solves my complete problem :-) I wanted to create
> a FITS table that can be read to build an astrometry.net index.
>
> I will just add my findings as issues to github...
>
> Cheers
>
> Ole

* * * * * * * * http://www.mssl.ucl.ac.uk/~npmk/ * * * *
Dr. N.P.M. Kuin      (n.kuin at ucl.ac.uk)
phone +44-(0)1483 (prefix) -204927 (work)
mobile +44(0)7806985366  skype ID: npkuin
Mullard Space Science Laboratory  – University College London  –
Holmbury St Mary – Dorking – Surrey RH5 6NT–  U.K.