[AstroPy] Gaussian models fitter non-functional?

José Vinícius josevinicius at iecom.org.br
Sat Oct 17 16:19:42 EDT 2015

Hi all,

On 10/16/15 9:47 AM, Giuliano Iorio wrote:

> It can be also that the image is too noisy around the target to fit. I
> usually use only a little subarray around the target, then I search the
> position of the maximum and I set the initial guess of xo and yo to its
> position. After I normalize all the subarray to the value of the maximum
> and cut all the signal below a certain threshold (usually 0.1).
> In this way I am able to obtain a robust fit also in very noisy map.

​That's an interesting approach, I'm going to give it a try.​

​

Another clever approach too, which I have used to calculate initial guesses
for maximum likelihood estimators (which usually needs a rather closer
initial guess than least squares), is simply to take the centroid of the
amplitudes in the region of interest. It's fairly robust even in very noisy
(poisson + gaussian) scenarios.

Cheers,
-Jose.

CVLattes: http://lattes.cnpq.br/3267230342393209