[AstroPy] New astropython.org site preview

Aldcroft, Thomas aldcroft at head.cfa.harvard.edu
Thu Jul 23 13:00:18 EDT 2015

This summer we have been fortunate to have a very talented Google Summer of
Code student, Aman Jhunjhunwala, working to create a brand new
astropython.org site from scratch.  In addition to writing all the code,
Aman has also brought a fresh design look and many cool ideas to the
project.

The primary driver is to make a modern site that would engage the community
and succeed in having a broad base of contributors to the site content.  To
that end the site allows contributions from anyone who authenticates via
Github, Google, or Facebook.  By default all such content will be moderated
before appearing on the live site, but there is also a category for trusted
users that can post directly.  During the preview phase moderation is
disabled, so you can post at will!

The preview version is available at:

http://amanjhunjhunwala.pythonanywhere.com/

At this time we are opening the site for a preview in order to get feedback
from the AstroPython community regarding the site including:
Overall concept, in particular whether the site design will be conducive to
broad base of contributors.  Would you want to post?
Are the authentication options obvious and sufficient?
General site organization and ease of navigating
How easily can you find information?
Visual design and aesthetics
Other features, e.g. a Q&A forum?
Accessibility
Ease of posting
Bugs
Code review (https://github.com/x-calibre/astropython)
Security
We highly encourage you to post content in any / all of the categories.
You can either try to play nice and use things as we intended, or do stress
testing and try to break it.  All posts will show up immediately, so please
do act responsibly in terms of the actual content you post.

As you find issues or have comments, please first check the site github
repo to see if it is already known:

   https://github.com/x-calibre/astropython/issues

Ideally put your comments into github.  For most of the broad review
categories above I have already created a placeholder issue starting with
[DISCUSS].  Also, if you'd rather not use github then just send to me
directly at taldcroft at gmail.com.

Best regards,

  Tom Aldcroft,
  Aman Jhunjhunwala,