[AstroPy] Interested in a wavelet toolbox?

James Turner jturner at gemini.edu
Thu Apr 2 19:03:47 EDT 2015

> I agree with Ricky here … a good wavelets toolbox belongs in Scipy because it’s
> useful to many scientist and engineers.

Should it be a scikit? Last I heard there was quite a lot of
resistance to adding new stuff to the SciPy core and the
expectation was that code in development would at least start
off as a scikit (but I haven't really been following the list
of late).

   https://scikits.appspot.com/about
   https://scikits.appspot.com/scikits

It seems like the only requirements are to name it something
like scikit-wavelets, put it on PyPI and use an OSI-approved
licence, so a package could *probably* be both a scikit and an
AstroPy affiliated package at the same time (whether that
makes sense if it eventually gets folded into scipy is another
matter)...

There's also bound to be some interest in this from the rather
active scikit-image community, who could probably help with
maintenance or even incorporate it there. There was some
discussion here recently about sharing code between AstroPy &
scikit-image but I can't remember the conclusion regarding
what should depend on what.

It definitely seems like a good thing to have available.

Cheers,

James.