[AstroPy] a question about python3-astropy installation

Evert Rol evert.rol at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 10:44:36 EDT 2015

  Hi Maryam,

> I try to install latest version of python3-astropy.
>
> When I install it with the pip command on my Ubuntu 14.04 machine it
> installs the 0.3 version. Can anyone please help me how can I install a
> newer version of python3-astropy?

Firstly, try updating pip; it may use an old database (not sure if it uses one online or locally):

  > pip3 update

You could also explicitly try and state the version:

> pip3 install astropy==1.0.1

(note: double =-sign)

If you want the most recent development version from github, you could try:

> pip3 install git+https://github.com/astropy/astropy

I notice that you mention "python3-astropy"; that sounds more like an Ubuntu package than something pip will use (to pip, it's just called "astropy"); if you're instead trying to install that Ubuntu package, then it's more likely it's using an older version of astropy (essentially the one that was active when the packages for your Ubuntu version were finalized).

Cheers,

  Evert