[AstroPy] WCS creation

Joe Philip Ninan indiajoe at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 20:13:23 EST 2014

Hi Martin,
I am not aware of any build in method to fit WCS using astropy.
But you can very easily implement a least square fit to generate best fit
astropy WCS object.
You can see an example here which i wrote long ago to fit WCS from a set of
known stars in field.

https://github.com/indiajoe/TIRSPEC/blob/master/CodesForUser/FitWCS.py

-cheers
joe

On 4 November 2014 03:15, Martin Beroiz <martinberoiz at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I have an image for which I have the RA-Dec information for some sources
> along with the pixel location.
> From that info, I want to create a WCS object with astropy preferably.
> Is there a simple way to do that? I read the docs for the WCS class but it
> seems it only manipulates WCS but won’t create one from the information on
> a few stars.
>
> Basically, I’m looking for a python equivalent of STARAST for IDL
> http://idlastro.gsfc.nasa.gov/ftp/pro/astrom/starast.pro
>
> Is there a built-in way to do this with astropy or affiliated package?
>
> Thanks for your help.
> M.

"GNU/Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste" -  GNU Generation

Joe Philip Ninan
Research Scholar        /________________\
DAA,                            | Vadakeparambil |
TIFR,                           | Pullad P.O.         |
Mumbai-05, India.      | Kerala, India      |
Ph: +917738438212   | PIN:689548       |