[AstroPy] astropy with Princeton Instruments .SPE files

Samuel Harrold harrold at astro.as.utexas.edu
Thu May 8 19:25:35 EDT 2014

Hello,

Are there any astropy users who also use equipment from Princeton
Instruments? If so, is there interest in a module that reads in .SPE files
into an astropy data structure (or into a pandas dataframe then into
astropy)? (The problem is that exporting from .SPE to .FITS with the tools
provided by Princeton Instruments and then loading into astropy often loses
valuable metadata.)

If anyone else would find this useful, please drop me a line. I'm
interested in joining a collaboration.

For the curious, .SPE file format specification:
ftp://ftp.princetoninstruments.com/Public/Manuals/Princeton%20Instruments/SPE%203.0%20File%20Format%20Specification.pdf

Thank you!
Sam
Samuel Harrold
PhD Student