[AstroPy] plotting FITS/WCS in Python: APLpy, Pywcsgrid2

Leo Singer lsinger at caltech.edu
Thu Jun 12 13:46:43 EDT 2014

> On Jun 11, 2014, at 23:47, Thomas Robitaille <thomas.robitaille at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Just to add some more details on WCSAxes - it is the main
> Astropy-related effort to develop this kind of functionality. The API
> document that was agreed on is here:
>
>  https://github.com/astropy/astropy-api/blob/master/wcs_axes/wcs_api.md
>
> This was an effort by Jae-Joon Lee (author of pywcsgrid2) and myself to
> try and write a package as close as possible to Matplotlib while
> retaining some of the nice elements from pywcsgrid2 and APLpy.
>
> One of the Astropy GSoC students, Asra Nizami, is working on improving
> functionality, tests, and performance, and I anticipate that we will be
> able to have a first release of the package later during the summer. The
> plan is then to refactor APLpy (which provides a higher-level interface)
> to use WCSAxes internally.
>
> In the mean time, let us know if you try it out, and if you run into any
> issues! The docs are here:
>
>  http://wcsaxes.readthedocs.org/en/latest/

Hi Tom,

This is just what I was looking for. I'm glad I asked! I have already started using it and I am quite happy with it.

My only critique so far is that because the grid and tick lines are reimplemented rather than inherited from the base axes class, the default plotting style for those elements is not carried over... I've just sent two PRs on this topic.

Thanks for developing this.

Best,
Leo