[AstroPy] Some Feedbacks about Astropy

RayS rays at blue-cove.com
Thu Jul 3 12:32:13 EDT 2014

At 07:47 AM 7/3/2014, you wrote:
>But I would like to see something like
><http://astrometry.net>astrometry.net does, identifying pentagons or
>other polygons in both images.
>In fact I tried to do something like that myself and then I set that
>aside for lack of time.
>Does anyone know if there's anything like that implemented yet? I
>would like to see that included in astropy.

http://image-registration.readthedocs.org/en/latest/#programs-implementing-these-methods-in-various-languages
was just pointed out, and some of the implementations are
significantly diffferent, so worth scanning through. Gohlke's is
similar to Xie's IDL that I coded in Python, and as far as I know
does not preserve luminosity etc.
I was more interested in a stacking process that uses sparse matrices
and sets the clipped/low values of input images to None. It created a
32 bit depth image that varied the noise spatially, due to the varied
number of contributing images per pixel. No tests for luminosity
preservation accuracy done...
(http://rjs.org/astro/1004x/images/M101-Mt_Laguna-DSS1.jpg) I don't
know if any professional packages use such a feature.

I also tested Jan Kybic's "Elastic Image Registration using
Parametric Deformation Models"
http://cmp.felk.cvut.cz/~kybic/research.html#registration which he
developed for CAT/MRI etc

- Ray