[AstroPy] Determining when world and pixel axes are independent

Thomas Robitaille thomas.robitaille at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 14:11:58 EST 2014

I have the same question. Just brainstorming here since I don't know
the final answer, but I guess there are (as you said) two things going
on here - one being the fact that certain projections can couple
coordinates (such as RA/Dec) in some projections (e.g. TAN), and the
other being rotations of coordinate systems relative to the pixel
axes. For the latter, I *guess* one could look at the non-diagonal
elements of the PC matrix:

    >>> w = WCS(...)
    >>> w.wcs.get_pc()
    array([[ 1.,  0.,  0.],
           [ 0.,  1.,  0.],
           [ 0.,  0.,  1.]])

in the above case, there is no rotation. But for axes 1 and 2 the
projection is not -CAR:

    In [9]: w.wcs.ctype
    Out[9]: ['RA---SFL', 'DEC--SFL', 'VOPT']

so axes 1 and 2 are linked (but axis 3 is independent). Maybe the
solution to find if an axes is independent of the others is:

- check that the non-diagonal elements for that axis are zero
- check that the projection for that axis is not a spherical
projection, unless it's -CAR in which case it's also fine

What do others think? Is this robust? Or are there projections that
are not the usual spherical projections that might link axes? Does one
need to also check that there are no distortion coefficients in
addition to the above criteria?

Cheers,
Tom