[AstroPy] Ecliptic coordinates in astropy.coordinates?

Erik Tollerud erik.tollerud at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 23:17:28 EST 2014

To add a bit more: there is a soon-to-come proposal for a change in
coordinates (an APE + an API proposal) that will hopefully make
implementing new coordinate transforms quite a bit easier.

Once that goes through, the next step is to actually implement the
important missing coordinate systems, and ecliptic is certainly among
them.

In the meantime, if you want a pure-python solution, astropysics
(http://pythonhosted.org/Astropysics/) and Kapteyn
(http://www.astro.rug.nl/software/kapteyn/)

On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 8:39 AM, Aldcroft, Thomas
<aldcroft at head.cfa.harvard.edu> wrote:
> Hi Leo,
>
> Here is the relevant issue:  https://github.com/astropy/astropy/issues/1430.
> Since that topic was active there has been progress on some of the blockers
> (arrayification of coordinates in particular), but I don't know if there has
> been any direct progress on support for ecliptic.
>
> - Tom
>

> On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 3:58 PM, Leo Singer <lsinger at caltech.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is it possible to convert from ICRS to ecliptic coordinates in astropy?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Leo Singer
>> Graduate Student @ LIGO-Caltech

Erik