[AstroPy] SIMBAD Queries in Python

Ian Czekala iancze at gmail.com
Wed May 22 17:02:02 EDT 2013

Dear astropy and astroquery developers*,

I have a functionality question for astroquery.simbad. I would like to
query objects by ID and return more information than just the default
RA/DEC positions, such as magnitudes in a variety of filters and spectral
type, similar to the following query using
http://simbad.u-strasbg.fr/simbad/sim-fscript:

format object form1 "%IDLIST(1), %COO(A), %COO(D), %SP(S),
%FLUXLIST(U,B,V,R,I,J,H,K;N=F [E])"
query id HD 163296

To do this in astroquery, I use:

r = astroquery.simbad.QueryId("HD 163296").execute()
print(r.table)

but this only returns the RA/DEC (and precision). I was digging around the
github repo, but couldn't find a way to set the query return format,
similar to the first line in my simbad-script example. Does anyone know if
it might be possible to return fluxes etc from SIMBAD all within python?

Thank you very much!

Ian Czekala
iancze at gmail.com

*Apologies to those at CfA that have received this twice, Tom advised me to
post here instead!