[AstroPy] Importing packages across distributions?

Christoph Deil deil.christoph at googlemail.com
Mon May 6 18:09:49 EDT 2013

Hi,

I've run into a similar problem … I wanted to install astropy into the Python that comes with the
Chandra [1] and Fermi [2] analysis tools to be able to use astropy and their tools from the same script.
[1] http://cxc.harvard.edu/ciao/index.html
[2] http://fermi.gsfc.nasa.gov/ssc/data/analysis/software/

Sometimes it is possible to make this work, but most of the time (at least on Mac) the astropy build fails.
The problem is that these analysis packages are basically impossible to build from source (at least on Mac),
so one has to get the binary distribution and then some incompatibility with the compiler or other libraries
on the user machine occurs when trying to build astropy.

I guess there's nothing that can be done to improve this situation from the astropy side,
except maybe share hacks how to make it work?
Or if someone knows people maintaining those big astro analysis packages that come with their
own Python to ask them to test if building astropy works with their Python on common platforms?

Christoph