[AstroPy] AstroPy Digest, Vol 81, Issue 12

Aldcroft, Thomas aldcroft at head.cfa.harvard.edu
Thu Jun 20 16:02:33 EDT 2013

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 3:20 PM, Adrian Price-Whelan <adrianmpw at gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm totally lost on what thread I'm responding to, but +100 to what
> Perry said about GUIs! IMHO there is plenty to keep us busy working on
> the modeling and backend, and we should focus our efforts on making
> that code super slick and useable *first*, then worry about a GUI
> (which, also IMO, are overrated! why do you want to click on your
> absorption lines anyways??).

I understand you are being a bit sarcastic, but I did half my thesis on QSO
absorption lines and I'll tell you that being able to click on those lines
was a lifesaver.  I wrote a Fortran / PGPLOT-driven GUI tool for analyzing
absorption lines which people were still using 10 years later.  Suffice to
say that GUI's are useful, but I fully agree with comments regarding the
separation of computation from interface.

- Tom