[AstroPy] ESA Summer of Code in Space 2013

Thøger Rivera-Thorsen thoger.emil at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 14:39:55 EDT 2013

I have been working on a fitting GUI for a while, although it is made
with a specific task in mind.
However, it is not based on Matplotlib but on Traits/Traitsui/Chaco and
Pandas. It is made for a specific projhect I'm working and as such not
yet usable for more general cases, but it could be a starting point, if
the dependencies don't conflict with astropy politics.

Especially, I am happy about the choice of Pandas for managing a quite
complex data structure (the fitted and/or guessed values of an arbitrary
number of transitions for an arbitrary number of rows or collapsed rows
of a spatially resolved spectrum) of a), but also with the Traits-based
interactive interface to build complex line profiles from single
gaussians, good for fitting-by-eye and giving good initial guesses for
fitting of complex line profiles. It hooks directly up to a wrapper I've
made for lmfit, but given the modularity, it should be relatively easy
to change to other backends.

It's still a work-in-progress, but there are some screenshots here:
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjGaEMGg .
I know the choice and number of dependencies may be prohibitive but it
saved a lot of work on the GUI, and Pandas means the difference between
sanity and madness when it comes to keeping track of so many parameters.

Cheers,
Emil