[AstroPy] message from SOFA chair

Perry Greenfield stsci.perry at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 07:42:40 EDT 2013

I'm sorry we didn't inform the general list, but on June 14, the SOFA board did approve the relicensing of SOFA in the form of the ERFA library that has a 3 clause BSD license, and a different prefix (not iau_ for the routine names). It is this that will be distributed with astropy. This should permit the inclusion of ERFA with many standard distributions that would not allow the inclusion of SOFA.

Perry