[AstroPy] extracting column names from VOtable

Erik Tollerud erik.tollerud at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 12:23:46 EST 2013

Aha, I understand what's happening now.  The fields that have both
"ID" and "name" get *both* attached to the dtype, but `dtype.names`
only gives you the ID.  For example, if you do ``dt.descr[0]``, you
get (('CIG Number', 'col1'), '|O8'), but ``dt.names[0]`` just gives
'col1'.  So the way to get what you want out of the dtype is probably
like this:
[des[0][0] for des in dtype_a.descr]
Although that's certainly rather awkward.

I *think* this is easily fixable, and I agree with you that that's
surprising behavior.  This might be considered either a bug or a
feature, request, but either way I'll put it in the issue tracker so
it can hopefully get into the next version.

Thanks!

--
Erik