[AstroPy] problem with 'test the installation' of python

Joe Philip Ninan indiajoe at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 06:59:09 EST 2013

Hi,
For the plot issue,
Try giving
%pylab
after starting the ipython session before the plot command.
It will basically load numpy and matplotlib to work interactively.

http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/stable/api/generated/IPython.core.magics.pylab.html?highlight=pylab#IPython.core.magics.pylab.PylabMagics.pylab

If you plan to adapt the codes to script later, it is better to do plots in
the straight forward way as follows

x=range(10)
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
plt.plot(x,sin(x))
plt.show()

-cheers
joe

On 2 December 2013 17:10, foad hanassi-savari <
foadhanassi-savari at hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have installed ipython via anaconda and it seems to be working fine and
> I installed the packages as instructed on the website:
> http://python4astronomers.github.io/installation/python_install.html.
> I have installed the packages as instructed and am able to import astropy,
> aplpy, pyregion and pyparsing.
> The issue rises when trying to test the installation!  the magic cells in
> my version of the ipython (ipython(py2.7)) are written as %%python (I don't
> really understand the difference between these and the suggested test on
> the website). This is not a problem, however, %%ipython is not listed on my
> cell magic list (%lsmagic) but when I type %%ipython I don't get an error!
> print numpy.__version__, prints 1.7.1
> print scipy.__version__, prints 0.13.0
> and
> print matplotlib.__version__, gives me an error unless I import matplotlib
> (I don't know if that is a problem or not!)
>
> But the main issue is that I don't get a plot of sin wave, instead when I
> type (plot(x, sin(x)) I get an error saying that plot is not defined!
>
> Also, I am using windows.
>
> Can you please help me out here, I am planning to study astrophysics and I
> really need/want to be good at programming.
>
> Thank you,

"GNU/Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste" -  GNU Generation

Joe Philip Ninan    http://sites.google.com/site/jpninan/
Research Scholar        /________________\
DAA,                            | Vadakeparambil |
TIFR,                           | Pullad P.O.         |
Mumbai-05, India.      | Kerala, India      |
Ph: +917738438212   | PIN:689548       |