[AstroPy] SOFA license letter (draft)

Michael Droettboom mdroe at stsci.edu
Fri Apr 19 10:58:56 EDT 2013

On 04/18/2013 04:29 PM, Thomas Robitaille wrote:
> On 18 April 2013 21:32, Tom Aldcroft <aldcroft at head.cfa.harvard.edu> wrote:
>> Following the long and useful discussion in the "astropy in Debian,
>> Scientific Linux" thread, I have taken a crack at drafting a letter that can
>> be used as the basis for discussion with SOFA board members or other
>> colleagues with influence.  It is also written somewhat in the form of a
>> petition.
>>
>> This is just a draft, but I wanted to get the ball rolling.  It would be
>> very helpful if other affected parties (package managers, people with SOFA
>> dependencies) can pitch in with more details.  In particular there are two
>> open sections that I would hope Sergio and Ole can work on.
>>
>> https://github.com/astropy/astropy/wiki/SOFA-license-for-the-community
>>
>> I think anyone with a github account can edit, but let me know otherwise.
> In terms of alternatives, I see the following (in terms of
> 'standards') that we could suggest:
>
> - Public Domain
> - MIT or BSD license
>
> Does anyone know for sure if the LGPL is BSD-compatible? If so, that's
> another option.

One license that seems to match IAU's intent here is the TeX license,
which basically says "it's in the public domain, do what you like with
it, as long as any modified version is not called TeX."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TeX#License

I throw it out there, just because it's well established that that kind
of licensing is acceptable to Debian, Fedora and the like.

Mike