[AstroPy] Linearity correction by polynomial fitting

Sergio Pascual sergio.pasra at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 06:31:10 EDT 2013

You can use numpy.nditer to loop over the array efficiently, have a look here:

http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/reference/arrays.nditer.html

If "data" is your data cube and "my_fitting_function" is a function
that takes a 1D array and returns a number,
the following code collapses your 3d array into a 2d array "result"

    it = numpy.nditer([data, None],
            flags=['reduce_ok', 'external_loop'],
            op_flags=[['readonly'], ['readwrite', 'allocate']],
            op_axes=[None, [0, 1, -1])
    it.operands[1][...] = 0

    for x, y in it:
        y[...] = my_fitting_function(x)

    result = it.operands[1]

This is slow, but not as slow as looping directly over data.
Furthermore, nditer handles dynamic allocation
of arrays and casting. And the C API is similar, so translating to
Numpy C (which is way faster) is straightforward.

Regards, Sergio