[AstroPy] Linearity correction by polynomial fitting

James Turner jturner at gemini.edu
Thu Apr 18 13:19:33 EDT 2013

> But I couldn't find anything for fitting a polynomial for every pixel along an
> axis of an ndarray.
> Is there a tool to do this? Without implementing a python loop to loop through
> each pixel and calculate coefficients?

I'm not sure if there is anything yet (could tell you how to do
it in IRAF), as I think fitting has been a bit of a missing area
in Python until some recent work-in-progress. But wouldn't it
help to use Cython? I was also wondering whether a Python loop
will really be that slow if you're doing something relatively
non-trivial like a fit, but it probably will be since the axis
you're fitting will be much shorter than the image size...

Cheers,

James.