[AstroPy] astropy in Debian, Scientific Linux?

Mark Sienkiewicz sienkiew at stsci.edu
Wed Apr 10 10:52:18 EDT 2013

On 04/07/13 20:12, Leo Singer wrote:
> On Apr 7, 2013, at 1:37 PM, John ZuHone <jzuhone at gmail.com <mailto:jzuhone at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>> I'd try pip: https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pip
>>

> John,
>
> Thank you; pip would work except that we need packages that can be installed with apt or yum. Our lab insists on it; the policy must be due to how they manage our computing clusters.

"using apt or yum" does not necessarily require that your package come from the linux distribution.  You can run your own package archive locally that provides packages that are not in the original distribution.  That means that if you want non-free software and you have the right to use that software at your organization, you can make a .deb or .rpm, then put it on your local package archive.  You do *not* distribute it (or allow others to access your local package archive), but your IT staff can still use apt/yum/whatever to maintain a consistent OS configuration across the lab.

Mark S.