[AstroPy] Support for OIFITS, reconstructed images

Brian Kloppenborg bkloppenborg at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 10:50:08 EDT 2013

At present the OIFITS data format is for storing binary tabular data.
Internally, the data is like a normalized database, so unpacking it to a
single table would result much duplication of data. Today files are
fairly small (< 1MB), so even a 10x increase in size wouldn't be a big
deal, but this will change in the next few years.

My C++ library keeps everything compact and lets the user
filter/merge/sort on OI_DATA objects (stores pointers to duplicated data
quantities), then export to tabular data once they are done. Something
similar to this could be implemented fairly easily in AstroPy. (My
library uses CCFITS and CFITSIO, so simply SWIG/CYTHON-ing the library
probably isn't an option, unless AstroPy wants to distributed those
libraries too.)

Cheers,
Brian

>>> Brian