[AstroPy] Image combine

Jose Miguel Ibáñez ppmime at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 03:43:11 EST 2012

Hi !

Right Kathleen, I mostly refer to the rejection, masking, scaling ...
algorithms; the idea is to avoid to install all the PyRAF staff only
because the nice iraf.imcombine task.
I have tried to implement some of those features, but for the moment
the main problem is that my routine is extremely slow (~2min)
following the next schema:

import numpy as np

ndim = 2048

cube = np.random.rand(32,ndim, ndim)
result = np.zeros([ndim, ndim], np.float32)

def combine(cube, result):

    for ii in range(ndim):
        for jj in range(ndim):
            result[ii, jj] = my_sigma_clip(cube[:,ii,jj])
    return result

However, the next numpy sentence is very fast (less than 1 second )

>> median_result = np.median(cube,0)

So, I'd also like to find out where is the point of that difference.

As Erik suggests, I think that kind of combine-like routines should be
in the next coming astropy package, maybe with the effort of all of
us.
So Kathleen, I encourage you to continue with your adventure at Gemini
and let us know about your progress.

Cheers,
Jose