[AstroPy] Fwd: transferring ownership of astropy.org to numfocus

Perry Greenfield perry at stsci.edu
Mon Jun 11 15:36:11 EDT 2012

[I had passed this along to the board to make sure that I wasn't
saying anything controversial--no one commented on it so I figure it
wasn't that far out of line; this may be useful in conjunction with
Travis's response]

While there are a number of goals for the organization, I think it is
fair to say that the primary one was to create a non-profit foundation
that could be the focus of sponsorship efforts to help fund efforts in
scientific Python to keep numpy, scipy, and other core projects at the
forefront of science and engineering. While sponsorship is welcome
from all areas, the hope is that significant amounts could be found
from private companies, particularly those that are finding numerical
Python useful for science, engineering, and finance.

As for stability, that is a reasonable point to raise. Would any
concern about that be alleviated if there was a condition that
ownership of domain name be transferred to some-to-be-named-entity
should numfocus cease to be, stop being non-profit, or have a
significant redirection in its charter?

Perry

Begin forwarded message: