[AstroPy] Maximum likelihood fit to unbinned data

Eduardo Balbinot eduardo.balbinot at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 18:15:32 EST 2012

Hi there,

thanks for the references. I managed to solve the issue using the reference
Paul sent.

I was trying to fit a density profile to a distribution of star. The usual
way of doing it is to build a histogram of dN/dR (number of points/radial
bins). But that introduces biases due to the binning choice.

A way to avoid binning is to use a likelihood approach. So I followed this
paper 2008ApJ...684.1075M.

If anyone is interested in the code I wrote for that please ask!

Cheers and thanks again.
-- Eduardo Balbinot