[AstroPy] got centroid?

Russell Owen rowen at uw.edu
Thu Apr 12 19:08:15 EDT 2012

On Apr 12, 2012, at 3:12 PM, Wolfgang Kerzendorf wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I just wanted to know if anyone has a quick and smart centroid script in any of the python libraries (easily installable). Even better would be star finding algorithms like sextractor.

One option is PyGuide: <http://www.astro.washington.edu/users/rowen/PyGuide/Manual.html>
Centroiding is done by hunting for the point of maximum symmetry. This was designed by jim Gunn to be robust for images with missing data (e.g. for guiding using spectrograph slitviewer camera images or coherent guide bundle images). The package includes a star finder. I have no idea if it will be fast enough for you.

-- Russell