[AstroPy] PyFITS beta testing

Erik Bray embray at stsci.edu
Mon Nov 28 10:34:28 EST 2011

Thanks for pointing that out Philip.  Bringing this back to the list if
you don't mind.

PyFITS doesn't normally include documentation for building the docs
since normally users don't have to.  But I should add some anyways.
Building the PyFITS docs requires the stsci.sphinxext package, which can
be downloaded from PyPI (http://pypi.python.org/pypi/stsci.sphinxext)
and installed with easy_install, pip, etc.

However, I went up and put a version of the docs from the header branch
online here:
http://stsdas.stsci.edu/download/docs/pyfits/header-refactoring/ so you
shouldn't have to bother.

The main differences are in all the header-specific docs:

*
http://stsdas.stsci.edu/download/docs/pyfits/header-refactoring/users_guide/users_tutorial.html#working-with-a-fits-header

*
http://stsdas.stsci.edu/download/docs/pyfits/header-refactoring/users_guide/users_headers.html

*
http://stsdas.stsci.edu/download/docs/pyfits/header-refactoring/api_docs/api_headers.html

These docs now explain the new way of working with Headers (which isn't
much different for the most part).  The old ways should work too.  I'm
interested both in feedback on the new API and whether or not it makes
sense, as well as on how well backwards compatibility has been
maintained with your old code.

Thanks,
Erik