[AstroPy] Q re. function minimization

Ian Crossfield ianc at ucla.edu
Tue May 31 10:26:44 EDT 2011

What functions or wrappers do people use for minimizing a function in
multidimensional parameter space?  I have some experience with the
scipy.optimize subfunctions but I've never been entirely happy with
them; there also appear to be options in sage and a Python MPFIT.  What
I'd like is a method that lets one minimize a function but also allows
things like passed keyword arguments (unsupported in scipy.optimize) and
above all a way to minimize while holding specified parameters fixed --
so that one can minimize over all parameters, and then repeat with some
parameters held constant without having to write an entirely new
function for each peculiar set of parameters.

Is anything that offers these features this out there?  How do people
deal with this?

Thanks,

--
Ian Crossfield