[AstroPy] Question about Atpy with MySQL

Dr. Juan E Cabanela Ph.D. cabanela at mnstate.edu
Fri May 27 17:54:07 EDT 2011

On May 27, 2011, at 4:37 PM, Thomas Robitaille wrote:
> Hi Juan,
>
> Thanks for spotting the typos in the documentation. It should now be fixed:
>
> http://atpy.github.com/format_sql.html
>
> Let me know if you run into any other issues!

Hi Tom,

The only other thing that isn't clear form the documentation is that to write to the MySQL database, I found you need to declare the table name before the call to create the database:

>>> t.table_name = "velocities"
>>> t.write('mysql', user='monty', passwd='spam',
            db='measurements')

Passing "table='velocities'" as an argument for the write command didn't appear to work for me, so I had to declare the table_name value first.  If this isn't the way it is supposed to work, please let me know.

There also doesn't appear to be a clear way to _overwrite_ an existing MySQL table.  I imagine if I dig around the documentation, I would find it, but it would be nice if the scheme was documented.  I DO like the fact protect exists against automatically overwriting MySQL tables.

Juan
--
Dr. Juan Cabanela                    218-477-2453 (V)  218-477-2290 (F)
Minnesota State University Moorhead     WWW: http://www.cabanela.com/